Are you our missing ingredient?
Web Infrastructure Engineer
The Zonal group are one of the UK’s largest technology providers to the hospitality industry.
Our products are used by over 11,000 pubs, restaurants and hotels. Customers include national brands like Pizza Express, JD Wetherspoons and All Bar One.
If you’ve booked a table or hotel room, ordered and paid for food and drinks, received loyalty offers, or downloaded your favourite hang out’s app, you will likely have used a Zonal product.
We are a family business with Scottish roots. We operate from our modern head office in Edinburgh to our Division in Staffordshire, or our Innovation Centre in Abingdon and hotel management solutions base in Cardiff.
- We offer flexible & remote working within the UK.
- Generous holiday allocation + Ability to buy and sell holidays
- Employer contributed pension scheme
- We reward our staff well with competitive salaries
- We give back to staff with our company profit share scheme
- Well-structured career development plans.
What you’ll do
The Web Infrastructure Engineer sits within the Managed Services team and is part of the wider Zonal Technical Services business unit.
Our suite of SaaS, distributed systems and integrations help our customers run their business critical services, providing their customers with industry leading hospitality technology products.
You’ll play a key role in our Production Operations (ProdOps) team that aims to drive operational excellence and customer focus into the operations of our SaaS and hosted systems.
As a Web Infrastructure Engineer, you’ll bring your systems engineering expertise in design, delivery and operational support to our industry leading SaaS and distributed solutions.
You will work closely with engineering teams in Development and Platform Delivery (Networks, DBA, and Infrastructure) to deliver and continually improve our customer-facing services.
The makeup of our systems is changing rapidly and you’ll being playing your part in helping us drive this forward. We’re moving to a modern DevOps landscape with technologies like containerisation, IaC and microservices. Initially we are working with our own hosted data centre infrastructure technology, so you’ll be key in moving us to a hybrid public-cloud model.
You and your team will:
- Build strong, collaborative relationships acting as the glue between in-house customer facing support and delivery teams, and platform engineering (R&D) teams
- Design, deliver and support production and pre-production environments, ensuring resilience, robustness and consistency
- Develop and continually improve:
- Tooling, automation, monitoring and logging frameworks
- Service availability, performance, scaling and robustness
- Operational, maintenance and security procedures
- Bring expertise and a streetwise perspective to problem solving and reduction of complexity
Who you are
You will have had a background in Web Development, DevOps or Infrastructure Engineering having spent at least some of your career as a member of a fast-paced product engineering, deployment or platform delivery team. Ideally you will have experience with virtualised datacentre or public cloud web infrastructures.
- A self-starter with a passion for technology and problem solving, with excellent analytical skills who thrives in a fast-paced autonomous environment
- Experienced with internet-facing application load balancing, HTTP, TLS, Websockets, DNS and emerging standards
- Solid Linux administration skills including patching, monitoring and automation in complex provisioning and deployment scenarios, familiarity with RabbitMQ or CloudAMQP a plus
- Comfortable in monitoring and logging platforms including Zabbix, Graylog, Logstash and Elasticsearch
- Experienced in scripting, tooling, automation, and Infrastructure as Code (IaC) frameworks, configuration management in Ansible or Terraform a bonus
- Quick to spot opportunities and new capabilities in technologies, continually improving processes and deployment models
- A champion of automate everything, document everything
- Able to see the bigger picture and delivering incrementally towards that
- A team player, organised, with a safe pair of hands
- Comfortable interacting with mixed audiences of Support, Product Delivery and Platform Engineering
- A champion of robustness, consistency and security
- Has critical thinking skills, a delivery-oriented attitude, with an attention to detail
- Minimum 3+ years’ building, deploying and maintaining production web services
We are going on an exciting journey and we need more like-minded travellers to help us get there!
If this sounds like you then we would love to hear from you!