Function: Research & Development
Reporting to: Test Lead
Location: Tanfield, Edinburgh
Are you our missing ingredient?
If you’ve booked a table or hotel room, ordered and paid for food and drinks, received loyalty offers, or downloaded your favourite hang out’s app, you will likely have used a Zonal product.
We are a family business with Scottish roots. We operate from our modern head office in Edinburgh to our Marketing Technologies Division in Staffordshire, or our Innovation Centre in Abingdon and hotel management solutions base in Cardiff.
What you’ll do
Your team could be working on anything from mobile and web applications for customer ordering to the next generation of payment technologies. Our solutions revolve around two key themes; ensuring the consumer has the best possible experience and enabling our customers to deliver operational efficiency.
Your team will be cross functional, likely comprising of developers, test engineers and product owners. We aspire for our teams to operate with the autonomy of start-ups, but with the added benefit of the scale of Zonal’s R&D function.
Responsibilities will involve:-
- The major part of your role is ensuring the delivery of product features into product releases at the required level of quality the team is equally responsible for on-time, right first-time delivery.
- You will have a great understanding of how the product performs in production. You may be required to monitor and report on the production usage of your product and help identify areas of weakness/risk which should be managed to increase uptime/performance.
- You will pro-actively participate in the full development lifecycle, from estimation to support.
- Using your core expertise (in this case as a Test Engineer) and constructive teamwork, your will ensure that your skills and expertise are effectively used to enable and support product delivery.
- It will be your responsibility to champion your expertise (testing) within the team and encourage others to actively develop their skills in this area. We expect everyone to be constantly learning from, and teaching each other.
- Like all members of the team, you are responsible for the overall quality of the product. When you think about the product you think about more than the software. You think about the backlog, the development environments, the production environment, code, test scripts and processes are just some aspects we consider to be part of the product.
- Constantly looking to increase your skills and expertise in both your core areas of experience but also in new areas. You will be responsible for identifying those areas where training or development would benefit you, the team and ultimately the Product and for progressing these with your lead.
- As part of developing your knowledge and expertise you will be expected to become a valued and contributing member of a cross team functional group focussed on sharing best practice and improving product delivery across the business.
- If required you will be part of the product 3rd line support function. You will participate in the support rota which will include out of hours support and will require you to gain knowledge of products outside of your immediate team.
Who you are
- Having been working in software delivery teams for some time you will have honed your expertise in testing. You will be an advocate for ensuring quality through the correct testing approach.
- Your work with software delivery teams has given you a strong understanding of the full stack and you will have planned and implemented tests at all levels of the stack e.g:
- Client side (Browsers)
- API’s (3rd Party and internal)
- Back-end processes (services, queues)
- Databases (Test data, SQL queries)
- You will have worked in cross functional teams and will be able to demonstrate your ability and experience in:
- Working with Product to understand requirements and user stories and, with this understanding, created effective acceptance criteria.
- Automated testing and test frameworks
- Test tools appropriate for each layer of the stack
- Generating functional, system and regression test cases and procedures.
- Undertaking test execution against the aforementioned areas.
- Identifying quality risks early in the development lifecycle and suggesting mitigations for these risks.
- Creating, managing and using test data
- As a core member of the delivery team you will demonstrate the necessary organisational and planning skills to manage your own work; you will be able to demonstrate that you have operated with a level of autonomy in previous roles
- You see process as a positive, there to help you know how to get your work done. You will use the Zonal development processes and in doing so identify areas of improvement which can be implemented in the team or escalated as part of continuous improvement.
- Problems are an enjoyable challenge for you to solve. You undertake problem solving in a logical way and wherever possible look to data for guidance. You are able to provide evidence or where you have solved problems both individually and as part of the wider team.
- You will be able to demonstrate how you have implemented tools or technologies to deliver step changes in the pace and/or quality of product delivery. For someone with expertise in test this might include:
- BDD or TDD
- Creation and maintaining automation frameworks
- ISEB/ISTQB Foundation
We are going on an exciting journey and we need more like-minded travellers to help us get there!
If this sounds like you then we would love to hear from you!