The Zonal group are one of the UK’s largest technology providers to the hospitality industry.
Our products are used by over 11,000 pubs, restaurants and hotels. Customers include national brands like Pizza Express, JD Wetherspoons and All Bar One.
We provide our customers with the solutions they need to make their business a success.
These solutions include mobile apps for ordering and web apps for engaging with consumers either through loyalty or reservations. By linking these solutions to Zonal’s EPoS (till) system, we help hospitality brands to understand their customers’ behaviour and preferences, enabling them to excel in an increasingly competitive market.
We’re looking for dynamic individuals who share our passion for driving innovation and using technology to build better businesses. We’re going on an exciting journey, and we need more like-minded travellers to help us get there!
What you’ll do
You and your team will operate with a large degree of autonomy, with choices about process and technology stack. You will be responsible for ensuring your team remain aligned with the overall strategy and process striking the right balance between consistency and flexibility.
- You will be responsible for enabling the commercial success of your product or products, which includes both the operations of the product (uptime, performance and user experience) and the successful delivery of the product roadmap (features)
- You will monitor and report on the production usage of your product/products; ensuring pro-active steps are taken to stay one step ahead of customer demand; where customers may be internal or external.
- You will keep a strategic view of the demands on, and limitations to, the products and use this to constantly improve the operations of the product.
- Through your team(s) continually deliver products, or projects, using the appropriate agile project management methodology
- It will be your role to make sure the team is performing to its optimum capability while maintaining good practice and achieving a high level of quality and low team turnover.
- Lead the collaborative, dynamic planning process – prioritising the work that needs to be done against the capacity and capability of the team.
- You will enable and foster a culture of innovation and professionalism within the team where there is clear ownership and accountability, and where individuals take pride in their deliverables and creating a positive customer impact.
- As a Line Manager you will recruit, develop, coach, motivate and performance manage those in your team.
- Actively participating in the Product Delivery community, sharing and re-applying skills and knowledge and bringing in best practice.
- Work with the Product Function to help define the roadmap for any given product ensuring that delivery timescales are achievable, realistic and commercially viable.
- Ensure that the team is able to provide the necessary support, in and out of hours, to our customers. Drive improvements in this support.
- You will be expected build a technology function where teams and products are loosely coupled but tightly aligned: We don’t want tight dependencies between products as that makes delivery more complicated, but we do need all products improving the overall solution and heading in the same direction
- It will be your responsibility to ensure a balance between consistency and flexibility: teams need freedom when it comes to process and technology choices, but when appropriate it has to be consistent between teams.
Who you are
You will have a background working in a software Product Delivery environment. Most likely you will have spent some of career as a contributing member of a delivery team, you will have become the go to person to help get things done and this will have led to your progression into leadership positions.
- As a natural, confident and clear communicator you will have experience liaising with technical and non-technical teams and across organisational boundaries.
- You have experience communicating with support staff, delivery team members and C-Level executives and know how to tailor your communications to the audience.
- You will be motivated by getting things done, and getting them done in the right way, first time; you are laser focussed on achieving the best outcome.
- Having a senior role in the organisation your will be expected to be aware of the business and commercial pressures relevant to your teams and will pragmatically balance delivery against those pressure – you realise that we don’t operate in a perfect world and it will be necessary for you to make difficult decisions.
- You will have experience of rapid business changes and be able to keep your team motivated, energised and on track through these periods.
- Using your communication skills you will keep key stakeholders aware of progress against plans and help mitigate risks. You will understand that the identification of risks and issues is not enough – when escalating you will provide recommendations and solutions.
- As a leader you will be able to demonstrate your ability to motivate individuals and increase team performance.
- You can demonstrate your ability to make decisions based on balancing an understanding of the best interest of the product and the best interest of the business – equally you will know when to escalate.
- You will have learnt, through having been accountable for delivery of multiple projects, those factors which make delivery successful or unsuccessful and will use this knowledge to ensure positive outcome and build a track record of delivering software releases on time and within budget
- Ability to work closely with other key functions which may include Product Management, Infrastructure teams, DevOps team to enable delivery.
- Have a proven track record of successful delivery through agile development teams and a clear understanding of Agile principles and techniques
What we value
Passion, Teamwork, Innovation and Professionalism are the values we believe make us the company we are. We’re looking for someone who understands great culture and will help us shape it as it evolves.
If you’ve booked a table or hotel room, ordered and paid for food and drinks, received loyalty offers, or downloaded your favourite hang out’s app, you will likely have used a Zonal product.
We are a family business with Scottish roots. We operate from our modern head office in Edinburgh to our Marketing Technologies Division in Staffordshire, or our Innovation Centre in Abingdon and hotel management solutions base in Cardiff.