Are you our missing ingredient?
If you’ve booked a table or hotel room, ordered and paid for food and drinks, received loyalty offers, or downloaded your favourite hang out’s app, you will likely have used a Zonal product.
We are a family business with Scottish roots. We operate from our modern head office in Edinburgh to our Marketing Technologies Division in Staffordshire, or our Innovation Centre in Abingdon and hotel management solutions base in Cardiff.
The Platform Services Engineer sits within the Zonal Managed Services team and is part of the wider Zonal Technical Services business unit. Our suite of SaaS, distributed systems and product integrations help our customers run their critical business operations and provide their customers in turn with industry leading hospitality technology products.
You’ll play a key role in our Production Operations (ProdOps) team that aims to drive operational excellence and customer focus into the operations of our SaaS hosted application suite.
What you’ll do
As a Platform Services Engineer, you’ll combine your engineering expertise in platforms, system design, integration, tooling and ongoing maintenance to help build and run the systems behind our industry leading SaaS solutions.
You will work closely with engineering teams in Development and Platform Delivery (Networks, DBA, and Infrastructure) to uphold contracted service levels. You will be tasked with ensuring our internal and externally available systems are reliable, and uptime appropriate to customer’s needs.
The makeup of our systems is changing rapidly, and you’ll play a key part in helping us drive this forward. We’re moving to a hybrid cloud landscape using the right technologies for the best outcomes.
You and your team will:
- Build strong, collaborative relationships acting as the glue between in-house development and Devops teams and platform engineering
- Design, implement and maintain robust, self-healing, and highly available platforms
- Continually improve processes, response and recovery times through logging, monitoring, and alerting
- Perform capacity analytics and demand management
- Automate, tool and document wherever possible, using IaC
- Own Disaster Recovery models and planning
- Bring expertise and a streetwise perspective to problem solving, reduction of complexity and reliability patterns
- Participate in On-Call cover and Incident Response
- Play a key role in change management and delivery pipeline into production ensuring safety, predictability, and repeatability
Who you are
You will have a background in deploying, managing, and operating mission critical systems having spent at least some of your career as a member of a fast-paced product engineering, web operations and/or platform delivery team. You will have a demonstrable experience of operating internet facing infrastructure platforms.
- A self-starter with a passion for technology and problem solving, with excellent analytical skills who thrives in a fast-paced autonomous environment
- Comfortable with core infrastructure services like caching, messaging, DNS, layer 7 application delivery and load balancing, and certificates, API gateways a bonus
- Solid experience in scripting, tooling, automation, and Infrastructure as Code (IaC) frameworks
- Experienced with monitoring and logging platforms, Zabbix and GrayLog a bonus
- Good understanding of traditional ops areas in Windows/Linux stacks, networking concepts and protocols
- Familiarity with container ecosystems including technologies such as Kubernetes and Docker
- Quick to spot opportunities and new capabilities in technologies
- A champion of resilience, consistency, security, and monitoring
- Familiar with relational and NOSQL database technologies
- Comfortable in complex provisioning and deployment scenarios, modern CI/CD pipelines
- A strong collaborator, organised, with a safe pair of hands
- A team player that enjoys influencing change and continual improvement
- Comfortable communicating to mixed audiences of Support, Product Delivery, Engineering, and Incident Management
- Critical thinking skills, a delivery-oriented attitude, with attention to detail.
- Minimum 3+ years’ experience building, deploying and maintaining production software.
We are going on an exciting journey and we need more like-minded travellers to help us get there!
If this sounds like you then we would love to hear from you!