The Zonal group are one of the UK’s largest technology providers to the hospitality industry.
Our products are used by over 11,000 pubs, restaurants, and hotels. Customers include national brands like Pizza Express, JD Wetherspoons and All Bar One.
We provide our customers with the solutions they need to make their business a success.
These solutions include mobile apps for ordering and web apps for engaging with consumers either through loyalty or reservations. By linking these solutions to Zonal’s EPoS (till) system, we help hospitality brands to understand their customers’ behaviour and preferences, enabling them to excel in an increasingly competitive market.
If you have booked a table or hotel room, ordered, and paid for food and drinks, received loyalty offers, or downloaded your favourite hang out’s app, you will likely have used a Zonal product.
We are a family business with Scottish roots. We operate from our modern head office in Edinburgh to our Marketing Technologies Division in Staffordshire, or our Innovation Centre in Abingdon and hotel management solutions base in Cardiff.
What you’ll do
This role sits within our Managed Services team and is part of the wider Zonal Technical Services business unit. Our suite of SaaS, distributed systems and integrations help our customers run their business-critical services, providing their customers with industry leading hospitality technology products.
You’ll play a key role in the formation of a new area within Zonal: our Production Operations (ProdOps) team that aims to drive operational excellence and customer focus into the operation of our SaaS hosted and distributed applications suite.
As a Build and Deployment Engineer, you will combine your software and systems engineering expertise in tooling, configuration management, CI/CD pipelines and build operations to own multiple build platforms and environments behind our industry leading SaaS and distributed solutions.
You will work closely with engineering teams in Development and Platform Delivery (Networks, DBA, and Infrastructure) to deliver and continually improve build and release systems.
The makeup of our systems is changing rapidly, and you’ll play a key part in helping us drive this forward. We are moving towards a modern DevOps landscape with technologies like Docker, IaC and microservices. Initially we are working with our own hosted data centre infrastructure technology however you will play a key role in our drive towards a future hybrid public-cloud position.
You and your team will:
- Build strong, collaborative relationships acting as the glue between in-house customer facing support and delivery teams, product management, and platform engineering (R&D) teams
- Play a key role in design, build and support of delivery pipelines into production and pre-production environments, ensuring consistency, predictability, repeatability, scalability and auditability of all build and deploy processes.
- Create frameworks to develop and continually improve:
- Tooling, automation and technologies behind build operations and environments
- CI / CD pipelines, release processes and frameworks
- Robust and flexible build and delivery techniques to compliment development activities.
- Bring expertise and a streetwise perspective to problem solving and reduction of complexity.
Who you are:
You’ll come from a background in software development or build and release engineering having spent at least some of your career as a member of a fast-paced product engineering, deployment and/or platform delivery team. Ideally you will have experience of deploying to hybrid datacentre/cloud infrastructures.
- A self-starter with a passion for technology and problem solving, with excellent analytical skills who thrives in a fast-paced autonomous environment.
- You have in-depth knowledge and experience of automated build systems, CI/CD methodologies and technologies such as Azure Devops, Git, Octopus Deploy, experience in SVN and InstallShield a bonus
- Solid experience in scripting, tooling, automation, and Infrastructure as Code (IaC) frameworks
- Comfortable in both Windows and Linux administration, scripting in PowerShell and Bash, knowledge of MS SQL and MongoDB a plus
- Quick to spot opportunities and new capabilities in technologies, continually improving processes and deployment models.
- A champion of ‘automate everything, document everything’.
- Able to see the bigger picture, delivering incrementally towards that.
- Comfortable in complex provisioning and deployment scenarios, modern CI/CD pipelines
- A strong collaborator, organised, with a safe pair of hands.
- A team player that enjoys influencing change, leading and developing a technical function
- Comfortable interacting with mixed audiences of Support, Product Delivery and Platform Engineering
- A champion of robustness, consistency and security
- Critical thinking skills, a delivery-oriented attitude, with an attention to detail.
- Minimum 3+ years’ experience building, deploying and maintaining production software.
What we value
Passion, Teamwork, Innovation and Professionalism are the values we believe make us the company we are. We are looking for someone who understands great culture and will help us shape it as it evolves.