Technical Support Analyst
Reporting To: Technical Manager
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Technical Support Analysts are experts for Zonal Product support and resolve complex, high impact or high visibility calls. They act as the initial escalation route for the Team Leaders (as 3rd Line). They are responsible for owning all work that requires R&D (4th Line) involvement and fulfil all HO upgrade requests.
Tech Support also take on specialist project work from time to time (for example disaster recovery or helping with large customer projects) and also provide enhanced support for customer UAT and product Field Trials. Tech Support also provide out of hours support and checks when required.
Tech Support are also starting to perform a Problem Management function within the department and take on a larger role with identifying trends and analysis with Incidents.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Investigating / resolving calls escalated to them by the Shift Leaders or Client Services Analysts.
- Checking / resolving calls still open > 1 week old.
- Bug identification and escalation to R&D
- Identify tools and improvements on the functionality and supportability of our Products.
- Involvement in Projects as decided by Technical Manager
- Provide technical cover at weekends and occasionally out of hours.
- Provide additional telephone and incident cover in times of reduced man power or exceptional call volumes.
- Overall service and support process improvements.
- Knowledge base maintenance – identifying needs for documentation and producing such material when appropriate (including holding training courses for Analysts)
- Involvement in UAT, FTs and Upgrades where necessary.
- Shifts covering 8am – 6pm Monday – Friday, 8am-4am and one weekend in 4 maximum (with following Monday, Tuesday off)
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 2 years’ experience of the Zonal product gained within a technical helpdesk role.
- Confident using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio; Confident using SQL to query and update data (in particular Aztec)
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to trace and resolve technically complex problems.
- Excellent IT knowledge, specifically relating to PCs, networks and databases; good SQL scripting knowledge and experience.
- Ability to work independently and use initiative to source information and potential solutions from a variety of locations.
- Planning and organisational skills; able to establish efficient and appropriate plans for self and others and adapt quickly and effectively to unexpected changes whilst still ensuring objectives are met.
- Customer service; understands and responds to customer needs (internal and external) and exceeds expectations where possible.
- Communication and team working; works co-operatively with others to achieve a common goal and communicates information in a clear, concise and accurate manner.
- Problem solving and decision making; analyses information appropriately in order to find best solutions and takes a balanced view to reach logical conclusions and make relevant decisions.
- Commercial and organisational focus; demonstrates understanding of overall business and commercial issues facing company.
- Commitment to results; is committed to obtaining results through taking responsibility, demonstrating a positive attitude and ensuring quality is built into work
- IT related qualification
- RDBMS skills
- Experience with SQL Server Database Administration and Maintenance
The Service Department provides support to all Zonal Clients. The main team of Analysts use remote support to resolve operational and software problems reported by customers. In turn they liaise with Engineering to arrange for faults to be resolved on-site as required.
The Helpcentre consists of 1st and 2nd Line Analysts, Technical Support (3rd Line) Analysts and Systems, Upgrade and MDM Analysts under Planned Work. The Helpcentre operates on various shift patterns 7am – 1am, 365 days a year. Support is provided based upon the SLAs in place with the customers. These are monitored on a daily basis and reported back to the customer at regular intervals.
This job description should be regarded as a guideline for the individual job holder, and will be subject to review according to changing circumstances. Other duties within the skills and capabilities of the job holder may be assigned from time to time.